I finished the birds on Thursday -- eyes, beaks, feet, and added the "snow" in Kreinik #4 braid in color #21. The snow doesn't show in the photo, but it is there on the evergreen boughs and under the birds' feet.Then, today, I started working on the cuff of the stocking. I stitched the red banding which is textured with white #8 perle smyrna crosses. I began the name and at the top you can see the beginning of the second red/white border of the cuff. That is the top of the stocking.
Because I started the stocking too high and don't have enough fabric on top, I have had to adjust the cuff area. I am eliminating two sets of double herringbone stitches in green that are charted between the red borders and the name, and I selected an alphabet that is only 12 stitches high, instead of the one that comes with the design which is 15 stitches high. I also changed the color for the name from red to green.
After I finish the name and the top border, I have to go back and fill in some red "berries" in the side borders. Looks like I just might have the whole stocking stitched by the end of this month like I hoped.